Getting Started with OpenXR for Mobile
What will you learn?
You will learn how to setup a project using the
VIVE OpenXR Plugin
to create immersive content that runs on
devices such as
VIVE Focus 3
Note: In this tutorial we will use Unity 2021.3.9f1 and Vive Focus 3.
Prerequisite: Unity Versions 2020.3.15f2, 2020.3.30f1 and 2021.3.3f1 are verified and recommended.
What is VIVE OpenXR Plugin?
OpenXR enables XR portability across hardware VR devices to help developers prioritize content creation over porting.
Download the Vive Wave OpenXR Plugin here.
- In File-> Build Settings, the target platform needs to be set to Android. Click on Switch Platform.
- In Edit-> Project Settings-> Player-> Resolution and Presentation-> Orientation, Default Orientation needs to be set to Landscape Left.
- In Edit-> Project Settings-> Player-> Other Settings-> Graphics APIs, choose OpenGLES and remove Vulkan .
※ To shorten the build time of the Unity project , we recommend you choose only one Graphis API .
※ If you do not see the session for choosing Graphics APIs, please make sure the Auto Graphics API is unselected . (For more information of what Auto Graphis API does, please see here. )
- In Edit-> Project Settings-> XR Plug-in Management enable OpenXR and VIVE Focus 3 Support feature group
- After enabling VIVE Focus 3 Support feature group, you may see a pop-up for OpenXR Project Validation with multiple issues displayed. Select Fix All .
Right-Click in the Hierarchy window and choose XR-> Convert Main Camera to XR Rig.
Create a test scene
Follow Unity's Configuring an XR Rig with the XR Interaction Toolkit.
Optional: Adding Controllers
USB DebuggingEnable USB Debugging in the headset. Now the project can be built and run on Focus3. For issues building and running the project, refer to Unity's Publising to Android tutorial. Link